Parental Options For Out Of Control Teens Part 2: Youth In Crisis Law, Emancipation, And Petitions

This article is all about options for parents if their teens are runaways and out of control. If you haven’t read Parental Options For Out-Of-Control Teens Part 1, I suggest you read that first before this one. This article will make a lot more sense after you’re done with the first one.


Youth In Crisis Law


Youth in crisis law states that the Juvenile Court shall assume the responsibility of teens 16 to 17 years of age. These teens couldn’t be kept under their parents’ control and have them run away from home. Teens in “youth crisis” allow:


  • Referral of problematic teens to court
  • Court orders the child to get involved in community services and other related activities
  • The court can impose legal orders


(I applied the youth in crisis law with my son.)


Defining Youth In Crisis


Youth in Crisis involves teen ages 16 to 17 years old. These kids:


  • Have run away from home within the last two years without a valid cause
  • Are beyond parental control
  • Have four inexcusable absences in a month




The child shall be referred to the court, and a petition must be filed by the parent or a legal guardian. 


The petition should include the following details: 


  • The full name of the child, gender, birthday, and present residence
  • The guardian’s full name and address and the reason for referral
  • The action expected of the petitioner from the court


Court Action


By law, the chief administrator needs to impose policies in determining the eligibility of the youth for court supervision. Upon learning of the qualification, the court can enforce the following: 


  • Denying the teen to drive a vehicle for a period
  • Mandating the kid to get involved with community services
  • Commanding the youth to attend education program accredited by the court
  • Instructing the child to undergo substance or mental health therapy services


Exploring Emancipation


Emancipation allows minors to have the same rights as the adults. It also frees the parents from their responsibility on the child including financial support and guidance. It takes place automatically when the child turns 18, but for minors, it allows them to get into new relationships. They can get married and build a family of their own. 




Petitions for emancipation can be filed in Juvenile courts where the child is located.  The said petition must be duly signed under court oath. Included as requirements are as follows:


  • Details of the child on why he was submitted to the court
  • The child’s full name, gender, birthdate, and address
  • The guardian’s full name and address 
  • The petitioner’s full name and their relationship to the child


Court Procedures


The post-petition system’s outcome will depend if the filing is done in Juvenile courts or Probate. Probate courts hold case hearings within 30 days upon receiving the petition. The judge must first order an investigation. He will also have to appoint a lawyer who will represent the child in court. The judge will then request for an assessment from a mental health professional if it is necessary for the case. This request can also be conducted by the teen’s guardian, if necessary. 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *